VITA Clinic Volunteer Process
Every spring, the Department of Accounting participates in free tax return preparation for qualifying taxpayers. This program, called VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
The VITA clinic at Texas State is staffed by student volunteers and supervised by a certified IRS site coordinator, Dr. Proschko. Volunteering at the VITA clinic looks great on a resume and for those interested in pursuing a tax focus in their accounting career, it provides invaluable experience.
Students can volunteer as:
• A Greeter—great for those who maybe aren’t interested in pursuing tax professionally but want to add some business extracurricular to their resume
• A Preparer—this person actually becomes VITA-certified through the IRS and prepares returns for customers in the VITA clinic at Texas State
2020 VITA Clinic Dates
February 17, 2020 to April 1, 2020
Mondays and Wednesdays Only
LBJ Student Center
How to Sign Up
Accounting majors interested in volunteering at the VITA tax clinic for Spring 2020 should send an email to VITA@txstate.edu with the following:
- First and Last Name
- Texas State ID number (A00......)
- Texas State Email (AB1234@txstate.edu)
- Spring Class Schedule either attached to the email or typed out neatly in the body of the email
Once prospective volunteers submit their email to firstname.lastname@example.org, they will receive a confirmation email with next steps within 2 business days.
Questions about the VITA tax clinic should be directed to email@example.com